As 2020 comes to an end, let’s look at the top 5 pet care business lessons learned from Covid-19. These ideas are great opportunities to increase your pet care operations in the future.
- Know Your Numbers – profitable pricing and understanding your fixed and variable costs were key to success. Understanding the financial numbers allowed many businesses to end the year at break-even or even a profit.
- Diversify – many pet care businesses reacted quickly to add or grow their grooming and training departments.
- Act Fast & Think Outside the Box – the pandemic was a great opportunity to expand your market beyond your local community. Facilities offered online services through zoom or other technology. Online retail stores and DIG Direct were other popular ways of finding new sources of revenue.
- Start a Membership – we’ve been encouraging enrichment daycare memberships for a few years. The pandemic brought new membership ideas including Klimb Club, Kong Delivery and monthly Spa Sessions.
- Focus on Client Communication and Relationships – Client communication was a key to retaining revenue. Proactive conversations provided business owners with new ideas on services to offer during the pandemic.
We continue to be grateful for the support of our community and hope these ideas help you come back even stronger in 2021.