Starting your own pet care business can be overwhelming. Hindsight is 20/20 and if we could travel back in time to our pet business planning days these are the tips we believe would have the biggest positive impact.
Fortunately, when starting your own pet care business, you can benefit from the lessons we’ve learned over the past twenty years operating and consulting with thousands of pet care businesses.
- What does a successful pet business look like to you? Be clear on your definition of success
- Why do you want to open a pet business? Know your why to get through the tough times…it needs to be more than a love of pets…you need to enjoy working with people
- Who is your target client? A smaller niche is actually better
- How is your business different from the competition? Know how your offerings will be new and unique in your market
- Know your business systems. Owners have to design marketing, sales and financial systems to have a financially successful pet business
- Know pets. Owners have to recognize health and well-being of a diverse breed of animals and be able to read body language to provide high care quality
- Prioritize improving your leadership skills. The bottom line to owning a business is to be the leader others want to follow.
Honestly answering these questions and building them into your business plan is a must to stand out in a crowded market-place. Yes, creating a business plan is a must and one that is best to do yourself. Watch our video for more details on why these 7 tips made our list.
Get ready for hard work and perseverance as you plan and open your own pet business. We welcome you to an awesome community of nice and supportive entrepreneurs that have walked in your shoes. We would do it again, only just a little smarter, for the rewards of helping pet families have better lives.